A big priority for you when preparing for an EMP attack should be to develop your security plan.
In the aftermath of an EMP attack, people will start turning on one another once the supply of food, water, and other necessities dries up.
This means that your house will become an immediate target if anyone has good reason to believe you have valuables inside, and it’s your responsibility to defend your home and your family.
With gangs, raiding parties, and individual robbers and burglars preying on the innocent, you can either do nothing to modify your home for defense (in which case you will be killed) or you can put a viable security plan in place that will enable you to withstand attack.
Here are the steps that you will need to take to develop a security plan for EMP Attacks:
Tell No One That You Are a Prepper
The first part of your security plan must be to tell absolutely no one that you are a prepper, except for those who you fully trust (such as your close friends and relatives).
While informing people that you are a prepper may seem harmless now, they won’t forget it when disaster strikes. Your neighbors could come knocking on your door after an EMP demanding food and water, and if you refuse, they could become violent.
Take the following precautions:
- Tell no one that you are a prepper except for the people who you truly trust
- Keep your stockpiles hidden in your home so no one visiting will accidentally find them
- Never buy lots of survival items from the store all at once; buy them in increments
- Make sure everyone you do tell you are a prepper knows not to tell anyone else
Modifying Your House for Home Defense
The average American home is very hard to defend and is a bad choice for home defense because it’s very easy to break into.
Fortunately, you can modify your home so that it will be easier to defend and difficult to launch an assault upon.
Here are some tips for modifying your house for home defense:
- Replace all glass windows with Plexiglass
- Replace all doors leading outside with steel doors and heavy-duty locks
- Install a Charley bar in your sliding doors
- Hang up bells and chimes on your doors as a security system
- Get a guard dog
- Buy “beware of guard dog” signs even if you don’t have a dog
- Cover the land around your home with inhospitable plants
- Never keep valuable items in your garage (as your garage is the easiest place to break into in your home)
- After the EMP attack, wrap tripwire around your property
- After the EMP attack, surround your house with a barbed wire fence, followed by a row of nail boards, followed by another barbed wire fence
- After the EMP attack, shield your doors and windows with sandbags; you will want as much cover for yourself as possible
As you can see, some of these measures you will have to take after the EMP attack has happened (such as setting up a barbed wire fence), but others you can do right now (such as replacing your doors and windows).
Another critical part of your home defense plan is to get on good terms with each of your neighbors if you are not already. The idea is that you and your neighbors should work together to outlast the EMP. If you and your neighbors turn against each other, each of you will fall and be killed before the EMP is over and things have returned to normal.