One of the best adrenaline sports is bungee jumping. This extreme sporting activity is the most amazing experience for people addicted to the rush. Jumping from a static object into a free fall is a life event that people never forget.
On the 1st of April 1979 three, Oxford University student made the first modern bungee jumps from the Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol. They got arrested after the jumps, but shortly after they continued with this extreme sports activity in the US jumping from Golden Gate Bridge.
Bungee jumping is not an invention of the modern time. It’s inspired from the vine jumping ritual of manhood in Vanuatu. Vanuatu is a Pacific island nation located in the South Pacific Ocean. The Vanuatu people were jumping from a high bamboo structure to prove their bravery and their manhood. Similar rituals existed in Mexico, dating back to the Aztec period.
For modern world people, these jumps have nothing to do with a ritual, these days people are jumping for fun and the adrenaline rush.
Here are the world’s highest bungee jumping spots, places that any passionate jumper should visit.
- Macau Tower (Macau, China) is a 764 feet tall building, the tallest bungee jump spot in the world. You can free fall for 6 seconds before the bungee cord rebounds.
- Verzasca Dam (Ticino, Switzerland) played a starring role in the 1995 James Bond (Golden Eye) movie. The bounce of the bungee cord is amazing.
- The Nevis (Queenstown, New Zealand) is on of the scariest places for bungee jumping. In the middle of the rocky Nevis mountain, there is a hanging cabin from where you can have a terrifying jump.
- The Last Resort (Tatopani, Nepal) is the only bungee jumping in the country. Located only 7miles from the Tibetan border this adventure resort is offering a bungee jump above the raging Bhote Koshi river.
- Extremo Park ( Monteverde, Costa Rica ) is South America’s tallest bungee jumping set in a park above the rainforest where you can also try the Tarzan swings.
- Niouc Bridge ( Val D’Anniviers, Switzerland) is the world’s highest suspension bridge. This shaky experience offers you magnificent views of the canyon in Val D’Anniviers.
- Bloukrans Bridge ( Western Cape, South Africa) is the world’s highest commercial bungee jump. Also with a beautiful view of the distant sea.
- Europabrücke ( Innsbruck, Austria) was the highest bridge on the European continent from 1959 to 1963. This bridge rises high above Sill river and stretches through the Alps connecting Austria and Italy.
These are some of the tallest and best view bungee jumping spots in the world. For all the adventure and adrenaline seekers out there, admit to your “jumping” addiction and add these marvelous places to your bucket list.
You will experience the most exciting free falls of your life. Those that have done it know that nothing can replace that feeling. So, get up there and jump!
If you have any comments then please drop us a message on our Outdoor Revival Facebook page
If you have a good story to tell or blog let us know about it on our FB page, we’re also happy for article or review submissions, we’d love to hear from you.
We live in a beautiful world, get out there and enjoy it.
Outdoor Revival – Reconnecting us all with the Outdoor