The most poisonous snakes in the US

Doug Williams
Greg Hume CC BY-SA 3.0
Greg Hume CC BY-SA 3.0

Just about anywhere you live within the US, there is at least a toxic snake residing in your area. If you ever get bitten by a poisonous snake it’s important to recognize it, so you will be able to acquire the anti-venom as promptly as possible.

Because of their small size, children are at high risk for death or serious complications related to snake bites.


Rattlesnakes can be found just about anywhere in the United States.

The Eastern Diamondback in believed to be the most venomous kind in North America. Most kinds of rattlesnakes contain hemotoxic venom, destroying tissue, corrupting organs and rooting coagulopathy ( blood clotting).

Untreated rattlesnake bites, particularly from bigger species, are very often fatal. Nevertheless, anti-venom, when used in time, decreases the death rate to fewer than 4%.


Rattlesnakes are normally identified by two significant characteristics that nonvenomous snakes lack. Firstly, they have a wide triangular head, slender neck, and thickened body. Additionally, they have got a rattle on the extremity of their tail. There are quite a few of rattlesnake species within the US, so it’s not easy to identify them from a distance.

How long do you have to get to the hospital before you could possibly die?

It depends on the species of rattlesnake. Just about all rattlesnakes contain hemotoxic blood, meaning it impacts tissue. Some are a bit neurotoxic, and that would impact your heart and breathing. Neurotoxic venom trauma is worse. Hemotoxic venom, depending on where your bite is located, could take hours to kill you if not cured with anti-venom. Neurotoxic venom will kill you much faster. The further the wound is from your essential organs, the more period of time you have possibly. Consider that you usually have two hours max to receive medical care. Immobilize the wound, hold it below heart level.

Do not utilize a tourniquet, suction or cut the injury, and do not use ice. If it is essential to walk, do it slowly, and rest often.


The copperheads alter in coloring from reddish to golden tan. The colored bands located on their body are usually hourglass shaped. Adults are about 18–36 inches long. They are not normally aggressive, but will frequently freeze when panicked. Workers are more than likely to be bitten while they inadvertently step on or pass close by to a copperhead.

Although the copperhead wound is seldom lethal (only three official deaths in the past 120 years) they are responsible for more bites than any other venomous snake in the nation.


The copperhead is in all likelihood one of the most commonly misidentified snakes in the US. The Copperhead has a thickened, portly body. Copperheads are usually orange or brown in color, the tone of dead leaves. This coloration and structure help them blend in with the forest floor. The design is composed of broad, asymmetrical bands that are darker than the backdrop color of the snake.

The head is at all times heart-shaped. (common for venomous snakes)

How long would it take for Copperhead venom to kill you? 

The bite is exceedingly painful and will involve minor medical treatment. There are frequently long-term problems to the extremities that are bitten.


You can bump into them in wetland areas, lakes or rivers. The Cottonmouth (or water moccasin) is North America’s solitary venomous water snake.


Water moccasins have got dusky stripes by each nostril and colorless snouts.

Non-venomous water snakes have round pupils, cottonmouths have upright, catlike pupils. Cottonmouths also have a triangular head, and non-venomous snakes possess a slender, oval head shape.

The adult snake’s skin is dull black, brown, dark tan, or dark brown cross bands.

How long would it take for Cottonmouth venom to kill you? 

A single bite does not kill you straight off. Though if you are in the water when you are bitten you will become incapacitated sufficiently enough to drown. A couple of years ago there were several cases in North Carolina. Also, if you get bitten numerous times it could be fatal. Consider though you have one hour max to seek medical assistance.

Coral Snakes

The coral snake is the one of the most toxic on this list, outrageously; the anti- venom is not at all commercially accessible for their bites in the US.


The Coral Snake has a solitary similar companion: the King Snake. If you can spot see the difference, then it is easy to identify.

Their colors are at all time red, then yellow which is a thinner brand, then follows with black.

This will help to make this identification easier to recall:

“Red touch yellow, kill a fellow.” (Deadly Coral snake)

“Red touch black, friend of Jack.” (Harmless King snake)

How long would it take for Coral Snake venom to kill you? 

The snake’s neurotoxic venom causes rapid paralysis, and respiratory collapse within its prey; nonetheless, as claimed by the National Institutes of Health, it could take several hours for indication of the bite to materialize in humans. The initial symptoms could be unclear speech, multiple vision, and muscular immobility. Consider after being bitten that when you seek medical assistance you have one hour max.

General Safety

  • Be attentive where you tread
  • Save this number to your phone or write it down and have it with you: Snake Bite Poison Line – 1-800-222-1222 available 24/7
  • Try to avoid going into tall grass particularly close to rivers and lakes – when possible.
  • Be attentive when ascending on piles of woods rocks where a snake could be hiding.

Put on thick boots and long pants while working outdoors

  • Put on leather gloves when picking up debris and brush

If you’ve been bitten:

  • Try to recall the shape and color of the snake
  • Dial 911 or rush to the closest hospital
  • Take off all watches, tight clothing, rings, and anything at all from the bitten appendage, for the reason that the swelling will begin soon
  • Consume some water and intake calories if you have any available.

A list of don’ts

  • Do not grab the snake or try to capture it (as some folks did)
  • Do not put on a tourniquet, do not cut the wound with a knife
  • Do not try to suck out the venom
  • Do not put ice on it or submerge the wound in water
  • Do not consume alcohol as a remedy for the pain and do not drink caffeinated liquid refreshment.
  • All Snake Bite Kits are hazardous
  • Do not bide your time to wait for symptoms to appear if you were bitten



fmssolution is one of the authors writing for Outdoor Revival